Saturday, June 22, 2013

The other Brooklyn Bridge

The 34th Street pier got a new makeover and they built a nice little riverside park next to it. It was high time I paid a visit. The little park is quite nice; benches are scattered about, shade trees and bushes were amply planted...and it has the most spectacular views of the river. It was quite fun seeing the ferries come in and go out. I saw one going to Martha's Vineyard.

Way south of the pier lay the Williamsburg Bridge. From a distance, the Williamsburg Bridge looks like its more famous sister, the Brooklyn Bridge. There are actually three bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn: the Brooklyn Bridge, the Manhattan Bridge, and this one - the Williamsburg Bridge. Of course by the time I was finished strolling and gawking about, I didn't have much time to paint so I did a quick color/compositional study in about 30 minutes..

Now I can't wait to go back and paint it in different lights when I have more time. Sunrise should be quite nice.

5x7" oils on canvas board

No comments: