Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hello from Sunny Italy

No, I'm not really in Italy but the painting today sure reminds me of Italy.

Looking around for inspiration, I turned to my vast array of photos. I think this photo came from the Marble House in Providence RI rather than Italy and I was there a few more years ago than I care to admit.

The Marble House is an Italian Renaissance Revival mansion built by one of the Vanderbilts so its no surprise that it reminds me of Italy.

I think I'm getting into a sort of routine with these paintings. First I mix up the colors - a couple of choices for the lights, midtones, and darks and then block them in with a brush. So no drawing ahead of time, even with the fine brush. Then I go back and add some color variations. This effort took about 40 minutes.

It was a fun exercise just to concentrate on color and I think I'm getting more confident with my brush strokes. I wanted to compare the colors on the dark inside columns with the brightness of the red floor. The colors are similar in color temperature but not quite.

I didn't get to put in the reflected light in the upper arches apses. But I wanted to keep it fresh a nod not overworked. I may revisit this subject again. Have to leave something for next time.


view to the sea from the portico at the Marble House in Providence

No comments: